Questions about Translating Acronyms and Initialisms

Subject: Questions about Translating Acronyms and Initialisms
From: Rick Kirkham <rkirkham -at- seagullscientific -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:16:13 -0800

I have been assigned to create a dictionary of terms used in our products to
help translators decide how to translate them. Two issues about acronyms and
initialisms have come up:

1. Some acronyms or initialisms, like NATO, are translated; but many others
are not. Does anyone know of some more-or-less systematic way that I (a
non-translator) can find out for any given acronym whether it should be
translated or not? Is there some place online or some reference tool that
would contain that information?

2. We will be translating into some non-alphabetic languages, too. Including
Japanese and Chinese. How are acronyms and initialisms converted into such
languages? Are they left unchanged? Translated phonetically? Translated
semantically? None of the above?

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230