RE: Search engines: getting your site to come up first?

Subject: RE: Search engines: getting your site to come up first?
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:16:49 -0600

Last month I attended a web development seminar. One of the speakers works
for Yahoo. During his presentation he told us that what they (at least in
Yahoo's case) actually do is sell people information on how to improve their
placement (much of which he taught us in that seminar).

Interestingly enough, much of what he recommended amounted to using good
organizational structure on your pages. He stressed the importance of
proper use of heading tags and the meta tags (proper use, not spamming).
But most importantly, the text has to be relevant to the headings and meta
tags.

There was also at least one dirty trick we learned that they resent but
cannot do anything about because of federal law. (That trick I'm going to
keep to myself.)

BTW, they will actually de-list pages for spamming tactics like the one you
mentioned.

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230