RE: So this is why...!

Subject: RE: So this is why...!
From: WFoster -at- friedmancorp -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:57:10 -0600

Striving for perfection and obtaining it are to different things. That I
acknowledge that I will need to rewrite (or in a programmer's case, debug)
does not mean that I don't try to write the best possible document on the
first go round. I just know that it takes the time and effort to create a
good product. I don't believe revision (or debugging) should have negative
connotation to it, or be viewed as a waste of time. Quite the contrary, I
think revision adds value by allowing you to find better ways to deal with
troublesome issues.

When I'm writing, my goal is to create a clear, purposeful document.
However, no matter how hard I try, I'll make typos and not notice, or my
phrasing won't be quite right the first time. By giving myself the freedom
to revise, I can try new things and end up with a better product. To me,
perfection is the end result of a lot of hard work and revisions. And while
I agree with you that a positive attitude and willingness to learn will make
these tasks easier and less time consuming, I don't think the goal should
ever be to do away with revisions altogether.