Re: Switch from WordPerfect to Word? Oh no!

Subject: Re: Switch from WordPerfect to Word? Oh no!
From: Dianne Blake <write-it -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:36:04 -0800

Joyce wrote:

Today I received notice that the company intends to standardize EVERYONE on
Word.

~~~

Dear Joyce,

Sorry to hear that. Been there ... done that! I'm a consultant and there
just aren't that many companies out there using WP (at least a windows
version). Some legal firms are still using 5.1.

If I were you I would take a document that requires header and/or footer
format changes, or page format changes (e.g. portrait to landscape and
back). Show the person asking you to make the change how easy it is in WP
and then show them how difficult it is in Word.

You can also show them how easy it is to move around tables (add, delete
rows) using keystrokes and then show them how much more difficult it is in
Word - especially since you have to use the mouse.

There are lots of little things that are different about the two tools.
This is because WP was developed around the typist and Word was developed
around the desk top publisher.

Even if you show the person making the decision the difference between the
two products, you'll probably be overruled. Most companies, even legal
firms are moving to Word because it has become the standard for most
companies. Other software is being designed around it and companies can
share files.

WP has changed hands so many times that it lost its market. Now folks feel
like it doesn't have a real future. Companies want to be sure that the
products they buy will go the distance because they will invest a lot of
time, energy, and training in the tool.

I wish you luck.

-Dianne Blake

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230