RE: Word and WinHelp, was Re: Word up

Subject: RE: Word and WinHelp, was Re: Word up
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 16:58:22 -0000

Tim Altom wrote:
> ForeHelp, by contrast, operates on a database, which is extremely hard to
> corrupt and confers much more flexibility. It also grows into a single
> source environment very nicely. I see a good many posts asking how to
> interface Frame and RoboHelp, WordPerfect and RoboHelp, and so forth, when
> ForeHelp interfaces with anything that will produce a tagged RTF, and does
> so impeccably well.

Scott Turner added:
I would add that the latest version of ForeHelp purports to use MIF file
from
FrameMaker, making it even more desireable. On the other hand, I would
seriously examine WebWorks from Quadralay, since it also works with MIF
files, is better integrated to work with FrameMaker, and will output HTML,
XML, as well as WinHelp and HTMLHelp for Windows.

However, one disadvantage of ForeHelp is that it does not handle large
projects well (that is, .hlp files of more than 500 topics). I have found
that working on a very large project, it became necessary to create several
interlinking help files each dealing with a sub-group of the whole project.
Eventually we had to stop using ForeHelp entirely: the level of maintenance
required had become unacceptable. (This was for a project containing around
3000 topics in total.)

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.