Re: clarification needed

Subject: Re: clarification needed
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 12:27:49 -0800

"Miller, Lisa" wrote:

> I have over the years been party to many discussions about apostrophes and other
> punctuation and grammar confrontations. For the most part punctuation issues
> are taken as "minor," by folks other than writers. However, I have always felt
> that poor punctuation reduces the credibility of the text at least as much as
> poor spelling does.

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, I strongly dislike
the use of punctuation or grammar as a way to nitpick and insult
others. I also can't help thinking that, for non-writers, these
matters may actually be minor. On the other hand, a lack of
knowledge leads to a lack of clarity and credibility, and good
writers should know the basics of their craft.

> Last September, I began teaching Freshman Composition. I was somewhat surprised
> at the lack of concern given to punctuation by my students. I was also
> surprised at the lack of hard knowledge my students had about punctuation. Most
> seemed unwilling to correct their lack of knowledge through study.

You have my sympathies. I was a teaching assistant for four years,
and an instructor for seven. After wading through the waves of
illiteracy marking papers, I found that diving into George Orwell,
Thomas Hardy or Jane Austen a pleasant relief.

> While this can be attributed to just "being a freshman," I think it may indicate
> an overall sloppiness that seems to be creeping into our society. For instance,
> these same students seemed to lack the ability to grasp critical thinking (that
> ability to systematically resolve a problem) skills as well. To generalize
> boldly, I am coming to believe that we are becoming more sloppy in our thinking
> and this is evident in the degradation the standards that shape our language.

Your thoughts are depressingly close to mine. In fact, a similar
line of thought is a main reason why I'm not an instructor any more
(that, and the realization that I wouldn't have tenure until I was
90).

However, I also feel obliged to point out that George Orwell made
similar complaints 60 years ago. Possibly, the standards are lower
now, although that's hard to judge.

But, one thing that hasn't changed is the truth of Orwell's belief
that the conscientious writer is obliged to fight these trends -
for self-respect, if nothing else. That doesn't mean resisting the
fact that grammar changes. But it does mean trying to write as
clearly and as well as possible. Of course, Orwell as a journalist
and a novelist. Still, I'd suggest that the obligation is just as
strong for a tech writer.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"The squire has a piece of paper that says he owns the land,
The bishop has a bible that says our souls are damned,
Mackenzie had a printing press, it's soaking in the bay,
And if Mackenzie comes again, there will be hell to pay."
-Dennis Lee, "Mackenzie"