"Meta".......(Was "Passing the Flame")

Subject: "Meta".......(Was "Passing the Flame")
From: Doug Grossman <Doug -dot- Grossman -at- sas -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:51:53 -0500

This actually has nothing to do with "passing the flame." However, John's use of the pseudoword "metawork" brought a question to the forefront of my mind concerning the use of the word (or words) "meta data." Whether it actually is one or two words is the crux of the question, as many of you have figured out by reading this far. We wanted to use "metadata," but word got out that this would be a bad thing, because supposedly, that word was trademarked by a corporation going by that very name. Whether or not this is true, we decided to play it safe when we heard that, and we use "meta data" instead. Can anyone shed some light on this?

---Doug (Doug -dot- Grossman -at- SAS -dot- com)