Re: Help wanted for a newbie Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Help wanted for a newbie Technical Writer
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:35:13 -0600

Abhay,

What you are asking is way beyond the scope of this list. No one can know
all the environmental variables, your skill levels, and your company's
requirements to tell you how to "start from scratch." Here are a few
pointers to consider:

* Work through the RoboHelp tutorial (by the way, that version is old.
Version 9.1 is now out) and learn the basics.

* Find some books and learn from them. The techwr-l web site has a
suggested list (see the URL at the bottom of this message). Since you
don't say what kind of help files you're supposed to use (WinHelp or
HTMLHelp or WebHelp), I won't belabor the list with specific
recommendations.

* Ask your boss to send you to training class. You don't say where you're
located, but you might try looking for a local STC chapter if you're in
the U.S. to see if they have workshops, etc.

* Look at some good sample systems to make sure you understand what makes
a good online help system. Some of the books will help you (just offhand,
I can recommend three: "Standards in Online Documentation" by J. Hackos
and D. Stevens, "Writing and Designing Online Help" [2nd ed.] by William
Horton, and "Designing Online Help for Windows 95" by M. Deaton and C.
Lockett Zubak [this last one is a little dated but would be helpful
anyway])

Good luck.

Jane Bergen