RE: STC and value of professional organizations (was: STC or STC# ?)

Subject: RE: STC and value of professional organizations (was: STC or STC# ?)
From: "Mason, Catheryn" <CMason -at- InfinitecNetworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:50:11 -0600

I agree with Elizabeth Ross that you must make your own decisions about what
professional organization returns the most bang for the buck *for your own
particular situation.* What works for one won't work for all. Having said
that, however, I must also say that personally, STC membership has been
tremendously valuable for me. They put out first-rate publications, in my
opinion, and the annual conference is consistently the best conference that
I attend during the year (aside from a few bum sessions, which is par for
the course in terms of professional conferences). Like Jo Byrd, I have
learned a tremendous amount about being a good communicator from
participating in STC events and networking within the organization. I am
affiliated with three professional organizations (my employer pays all
dues), and if I had to choose to retain only one membership, it would be
STC, no qualms involved. Just because it's worked for me, though, doesn't
mean that everyone will get the same value out of the organization. Shop
around and pick what is going to give you the best return on your investment
of both time and money.

Catheryn Mason, Technical Writer
Infinitec Networks
Winner, 1999 IABC Bronze Quill Award of Excellence for Technical Writing