RE: STC or STC# ?

Subject: RE: STC or STC# ?
From: "Victoria Sharpe" <vmsharpe -at- prodigy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:36:57 -0600

In relation to the ongoing conversation about critical thinking skills and
being able to bring information together so that you can do your job more
effectively, the Journal of STC is perfect. The editor tries very hard to
include a mix of theory and practice to satisfy most of the readers. I enjoy
it because of attention to new trends in the field and because I am
interested in the research because I always want to be at the top of my
game. If you are looking for prescriptive advice on how to accomplish a
task, then look to Intercom or to some of the "How To" sites on the web such
as John December's at www.december.com.

Membership to STC offers more job security because of the connections you
make a meetings and conferences and since I few fields tend to be life long
anymore and few jobs are guaranteed for life, that knowledge is worth the
membership fee.

Victoria Sharpe

<<Regarding the value of membership, I find the quarterly journal,
"Technical
Communication" to contain far too much academic information that for me and
many others has little on-the-job application. But when people just
starting out or changing careers need the networking and the resources that
STC <can> offer, it's a disservice not to recommend joining.>>