Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Herman Holtz" <h -dot- holtz -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:46:55 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Guttman" <sguttman -at- semantix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 10:12 AM

> on 12/11/00 10:07 AM, Tom Murrell at trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:
>
> > --- Deborah Ray <debray -at- raycomm -dot- com> wrote:
>
> >> Do you know tech writers who have falsified or
> >> grossly exaggerated information when seeking a job?

The irony of this question is that I amd others have occasionally had to
lie by understating our qualifications for a new job. If, at some time in
your career, you can grasp only at jobs paying two-thirds of your normal
rate, demanding that ormal rate is almost certain to disqualify you
immediately. If you want (need, that is) the job and are willing to take the
cut temporarily, you must understate your demand and past salary. I did it
when I came to Maryland from hiladelphia years ago. How many others have
been in a similar situation? - Herm