RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:28:06 -0500

OK, I have to jump in here. Seems like this thread is tending toward
advising folks to "tell it all" in a resume.

As a former hiring manager, I have to say DON'T send me a 5-page resume,
especially if you're a consultant and/or have been around a long time.
Here's why:

I expect you to have enough sense to highlight the elements of your career
that are most relevant to my needs. I really don't care what you did 30
years ago. What can you do for me NOW that'll solve my current business
problems? That means finding out something about my company and the products
we document. Not hard, nowadays. Tell me about tools, but focus on
solutions. Be selective. Respect my time... and yours. Market yourself. Your
resume is your foot in the door as well as your first writing sample. Make
it easy for me to want to talk with you in person by showing me what you can
do for me, not by telling me everything you've done.

I DO tailor my resume to the job, while keeping the essence intact. I have
consultant resumes, a 1-page traditional (chronological) resume, and an STC
resume. Different tools for different purposes. I also have a list of
accomplishments and a bibliography on separate pages. The traditional resume
is dense, but it covers over 30 years of work.

I can't see why a "professional" writer would have a problem with having
more than one resume, as long as the content is accurate and true.

My $0.02!
Marguerite