Re: The Problem with STC

Subject: Re: The Problem with STC
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:02:07 -0800 (PST)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com (Andrew Plato) writes:

>My other big complaint with STC is their complete lack of technical knowledge.
>They sponsor big meetings on how to map information and develop a documentation
>plan - but have you ever see an STC sponsored event on systems networking,
>object oriented programming, scientific writing?

The place to learn technical information is at technical
seminars. I don't disagree with your point that technical
writers should understand the technology that they are
documenting. I do disagree that it is the place of the
Society for Technical Communicators to teach them that
technology.

>I am also really pissed at STC because of this seminar last year. They asked me
>to speak at some convention. I agreed and developed a presentation on
>independent contracting. When I showed up at the seminar - I was required to
>PAY to get into the seminar. I told them I was a speaker. That didn't matter,
>speakers still had to pay. That was pretty low. Making speakers PAY to speak at
>a seminar. Pathetic. It reminds me of these phony news programs they have on
>radio where you pay the station to have a story done about your company.

Interesting -- I've spoken at the International STC
Conference for several years now and at every stage
of paper submission, they have made it clear that
speakers must pay to attend the conference (albeit
at a reduced rate). I believe the idea is that one
will attend the entire conference, not just come in
to give a speech.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"Politics is show business for ugly people" -- James Carville