Re: The Problem with STC

Subject: Re: The Problem with STC
From: "Herman Holtz" <h -dot- holtz -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:12:50 -0500

> Exactly. How else can a technical writer make those decisions, except from
> an understanding of the topic? The more complex the topic, the deeper

One of a writer'skill or, at least, capabilities, must be the ability to
understand his reader and communicate with that reader. One should not even
attempt to plan his or her writing before developing a profile of the reader
for whom the writing is to be intended and, even more than the reader's
profile, the learning objective: What is the reader to gain from the
reading? Specifically, that is, and not some vague idea, such as "learning
or "understanding"