RE: The Problem with STC

Subject: RE: The Problem with STC
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:58:07 -0600

>>> <Alan -dot- Miller -at- prometric -dot- com> 12/11/00 10:40AM >>>
<< Before we, as *technical* communicators, can clearly explain a complex
technical concept, we must thoroughly understand that concept. This
requires research, curiosity, and a thoroughgoing understanding of "first
principles," the fundamental mathematics and science behind the technology.>>

But let's not forget that we, as technical communicators, don't always need to explain the complex technical concept, because our audience doesn't always need or even want that (and we are writing for an audience, not for our own entertainment, yes?). Sometimes we only need to explain what to do with it. For example, I once worked on a script for a training video on how to use a large cutting machine in a meat packing plant. The end users needed to know (a) put the meat here, (b) push this button, and (c) don't put your hand past the guard or it will get chopped off. OK, that's a little simplistic, but it wasn't much more complicated than that. Did *I* as the writer need to know more than that? Yes. But I didn't need to know "the science behind the technology." I just needed to know how it worked, not why it worked that way.

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okvotech.org/cimc