RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Roger Bell <RBell -at- OptioSoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:38:15 -0500

Dan...that "enthusiastically espousing" views goes both ways, not just for
potential employees.

A friend of mine worked for a company where most of his co-workers used to
get around to political topics at lunch or on breaks and would harass him
for taking different views. The managers had the same views as the
harassers, so there was no remedy in filing a grievance. Needless to say,
he left the company as soon as he could.

I interviewed with a company once where I was told by a friend in advance
how politically extreme and vocal most of management was. I only went for
the interview, knowing if hired, I would leave as soon as possible. Perhaps
they "read my beads" during the interview since I wasn't hired.

I agree...politics is best not discussed at the workplace unless it is
between good friends who know open disagreement is democracy in action.