RE: FW: New TECHWR-L Poll Quest

Subject: RE: FW: New TECHWR-L Poll Quest
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:10:51 -0800

Connie Giordano said:

Damien's and others' answers indicate that developers often get tested for
proficiency--which makes me wonder why so many tech writers are offended by
writing tests. If the development staff takes some sort of test to prove
their proficiency, what makes writers so special? And no, I don't mean "how
to tie a shoe" type tests. I mean tests that show ability to grasp the
overall concept of the product, write some basic procedural and conceptual
information, and ask questions that demonstrate curiosity.

hoping it doesn't stir up too much of a ruckus

Connie Giordano
---------------------
At my last two projects, I was interviewed by the development manager to
assess my knowledge of C/C++, Java, Perl, and Javascript.

That was for a tech writer position.

Interestingly, they didn't ask for a writing sample or discuss writing
issues. When I asked why, I was told that they used the resume as a screen.
Their opinion was that if you can't layout and write a decent resume, you
probably can't write other docs well either - at least that was .

Thankfully, I have a friend who is a great resume writer ;)

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.
702.914.5585