RE: FW: New TECHWR-L Poll Quest

Subject: RE: FW: New TECHWR-L Poll Quest
From: "Miller, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Miller -at- Anheuser-Busch -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:27:59 -0600

I've been marginally following this discussion, but something just occurred to
me, and I want to put in my two cents worth. I have never been hired by another
writer. Most of my interviews have been conducted by developers or project
managers. While I would like to think that project managers are familiar with
the skill sets they require on their teams, I have found they usually don't
especially when it comes to writers. They are unfamiliar with writer-skills for
reasons we often discuss on this list - timelines, process, writing is an after
thought, yada, yada, yada. Developers are ignorant of writing skills for
similar reasons.

Now to my point, why would I feel comfortable with people in either of these
position testing or evaluating my skills? A necessary question that follows
is, "why would you want to work for these people?" Well, I haven't had too many
opportunities to do otherwise. I will say that I have only been asked to
perform one writing test. It was years ago, and it -was- given to me by a
senior writer who was managing a writing department. I did not feel
uncomfortable about it at all. I did not get the job, however. I don't know how
much my experience (only two years) was a factor versus the writing test.

Lisa A. Miller
Technical ! Writer
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Packaging Team - Corporate Engineering
mailto:lisa -dot- miller -at- anheuser-busch -dot- com
(314) 865-8904

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Benjamin Franklin