Celeron vs Pentium for a TWer's laptop?

Subject: Celeron vs Pentium for a TWer's laptop?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:15:50 -0500

Milan Davidovic is <<...considering my first purchase of a Windows machine.
For my purposes, a laptop is better than a desktop. Windows laptop with
Intel processors feature either a Celeron or a Pentium chip... what are the
important
differences between these two processors?>>

Assuming you're buying current versions of both processors (a Celeron faster
than 400 MHz vs. a comparable Pentium II or even a Pentium III) and that all
else (particularly cache memory, RAM, video chip, and hard disk size) are
comparable, then the Pentium's the better chip. Although both are
relatively good choices for basic word processing, anything graphical should
run faster on the Pentium at equal clock speeds. The Pentium will also blow
away the Celeron for many other functions such as Web browsing, and thus
makes for a better long-term investment. On the other hand, if you're not a
heavy user of graphics, a fast Celeron is a perfectly suitable chip; I
bought one for my home PC because it's amply fast for what I do, and cost
substantially less than an equivalent Pentium.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer