RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 05:04:35 -0800 (PST)

--- Brian Martin <martin -at- sodalia -dot- it> wrote:
> Guy K. Hass wrote:
>
> ...if Dick spent three years full time in the antiwar
> movement, what can he put on his resume for those three years?
> I don't know about you, but I look for gaps in work history.
> How to explain that three-year gap?

I think we're missing something in this discussion of multi-year gaps
in resumes. For one thing, there are several gaps in my work
experience, but my resume is structured in such a way that those 'gaps'
aren't noticeable. I'm not holding my resume up as some sort of
exemplar of perfection. It works for me, and that's all I really care
about in the end.

I don't think that structuring a resume as a chronology of one's work
life is necessarily the best way to market one's skills. That's why I
prefer a structure that stresses accomplishments and skills. That way
gaps--either those that represent time spent doing things outside of
the immediate interest of a prospective employer or time spent doing
non-employment related activities (or other things, I'm trying to be
somewhat inclusive here)--don't get highlighted. I don't want the
conversation focusing on what wasn't technical writing related and
focusing on gaps in one's employment or professional work distracts
from my purpose in an interview: to get the gig.

If I may make an aside--I regret bringing up something in my background
that was really extraneous to discussion on this thread: my military
service. I don't regret that experience, but I do regret sparking a
pseudo-thread that really doesn't have any TW hook. Nor do I think
Dick's service should be an issue. I don't think either of us should
get preferrential treatment because of something that does not bear on
our abilities as writers. For the record, I know nothing about Dick
Margulis that would preclude me from working with him, though I suspect
plain geography will keep that from happening. But please do accept my
apologies for introducing extraneous noise into the thread.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems