Re: The Business of Conferences

Subject: Re: The Business of Conferences
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:15:46 -0800 (PST)

--- "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com> wrote:
> said some very
> negative things about STC, its activities, and its
> members. IMHO,
> virtually none of what he said corresponds to
> reality as I and the
> vast majority of STC's other 23,000 members perceive
> it.
> However, making sweeping
> generalizations with little or no evidentiary
> foundation beyond
> personal anecdote is not the way to offer
> constructive criticism.

Did you survey these 23,000 members to confirm your
sweeping generalization? *g*

C'mon folks. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It's
not our place to hold that opinion up to a bright
light for examination. George, your post was just as
opinionated as Andrew's. Why should I agree with you
more than Andrew? Neither post was constructive, IMO.

For what it's worth, I'm in the middle of the road on
this issue. There are things I like about the STC, and
things I don't like. Though I'm sure I'm not the only
one who feels this way, I can't speak for the other
23,000 (or however many there are) members, so I won't.

=====
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
PowerAdz.com