RE: Plato's Rhetoric

Subject: RE: Plato's Rhetoric
From: Archimede Ziviello <archimede -dot- ziviello -at- cannondale -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:59:08 -0500

First, here's a selection phrases for general consumption to deal with all
the apparent "e-strife." The best rhetoric always boils down. Pick one and
repeat often.

Get over it. - Aristotle

Now, children. - Kant

What's the bottom line here? - Hiedegger

If you can't run with the big dogs, don't get off the porch. - Miles

Don't you have a job that pays? - Ike

Why are you so frustrated? - Freud

Put up or shut up. - Gadamer

THE DIALOGUE

**Plato

>>Whomever

** If you disagree with me, prove me wrong.

Why? Do I have too?

** Cite a million articles that prove me wrong. Just be prepared to be
challenged.

>>In what way, empirically, spiritually, or metaphysically?

** That is how rhetoric works. I assert,you challenge, I defend, you
counter, we all learn.

>>Right? However, you say.

** Calling me names and saying I am "reckless" only shows knee-jerk
reactionism to
the issue and does NOTHING to further the ideas. More than one person has
been
thrown off this list for attacking me personally.

>>Agreed, this kind of thing is useless.

**JUST BECAUSE A PERSON HAS A CONTROVERSIAL IDEA DOES NOT MEAN YOU GET THE
UNFETTERED RIGHT TO ATTACK THAT PERSON. I have thick and can stand people
calling me names. But I get the same protection under the list rules as
everybody else.

>>Agreed, this kind of thing is useless.

**Yes, I am prone to hyperbole, exaggeration, and grandiose platitudes.
Demonstrate your technical communications prowess and use those weaknesses
prove me wrong. I will concede my weaknesses quickly and look for common
ground.

>>Never allow the opponent to define the struggle before it starts.

**You are a fine rhetorician.