Re: The Business of Conferences

Subject: Re: The Business of Conferences
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:04:23 +0000

Beth Friedman wrote (or quoted, I'm not sure which):

> >This is entirely untrue. Many top-name writers, including Harlan
> >Ellison, still attend science fiction conventions and are *not*
> >paid to appear. (To my personal knowledge, Harlan spoke at a
> >small convention in Boston just last year and was not paid.)

I didn't say that the demand was met - I merely said that some writers
determined to take this position in the past. If I remember correctly,
the issue was thrashed out at some length in various professional
forums.

Moreover, I said nothing about whether Ellison had subsequently changed
his mind. I don't know whether he has or not. Anyway, from what I've
seen and heard of him, he's perfectly capable of volunteering his
services. Donating your services is vastly different from being
pressganged.

> >You seem to be confusing guests of honor, who of course are
> >remunerated for attending the convention, with writers who
> >do programming, who are *not* remunerated.
> And it should be made clear that such remuneration does not include an
> honorarium or speaking fee, but only repayment of travel, lodging, and
> associated expenses.

Practice varies widely - and, no, I'm not just talking about media
conventions, which I know little about and have never attended.

Why you make a distinction between guests of honor and regular guests,
I'm not sure, but I know for a fact that, at some regional conventions,
some regular guests have had some or all their expenses paid. In at
least one case, the writer received a lump sum for expenses which they
didn't need to account for.

How widespread this practice is, I'm not sure - possibly not very - but
it does happen.

I should also mention that expenses for a convention can be a fairly
substantial, depending on where the guest is coming from and where they
are staying.

> Writers who do programming sometimes get free memberships;

This is a token, but even a token is often appreciated.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com