Re: The Business of Conferences

Subject: Re: The Business of Conferences
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:52:22 -0600

>However, just for the heck of it, I
>thought I'd point out that the world science fiction
>convention draws between 5,000 - 8,000 attendees and
>is run with *no* paid staff whatsoever -- no paid office
>support, no local little old ladies as door guards or
>registration staff, no convention center set-up
>personnel, etc.

And I've done everything on that list except registration staff (though I
*did* help sort out registrations in the back office at Bucky). But I
wasn't *exactly* unpaid. I got a T-shirt from Bucky and a book from ChiCon,
for example.

And that's my point. Compensation isn't always monetary, but it always has
to be attractive. STC needs to learn that, apparently. Volunteers need to
feel appreciated, not just be told they are. Quid pro quo; if they help
out, they should be helped some way in return. So they make valuable
contacts at the con; that's something they could do anyway, without the
effort of making a presentation. You need to give a little more than that
to make them feel appreciated. At the least they should get in the door
free. (Let me get this straight: you want me to sweat over putting together
a good presentation *and* you want me to pay you for the thrill of getting
to present it? Be still, my heart!) You can't afford to pay the help?
That's alright, find something else they need/want. Heck, even a book or
two; be creative. And don't tell me you can't be; you're a writer -- by
definition you're creative.

We've had similar discussions on the list before, about little bribes we
offer SMEs to attract just that extra ounce of co-operation you need. It's
a valuable skill for our jobs, but one that apparently gets lost when we
start talking STC conferences.

Andrew mentioned that he feels the STC is completely out of touch with the
reality of work in the field (at least that's what I took away from his
comments, apologies if I mistook). This might be an indicator of that. Know
your audience is rule 1; if the STC doesn't know them well enough to offer
them something they value, how can it make any other credible claims?

Am I down on the STC? No, but not being down on it doesn't mean I'm high on
it. Seeing the posts on this list (which run both pro and con) I've little
desire to spend the money to join. (And the first person who blames this on
the listowner for carrying, or some members for posting, things critical of
the STC gets pride of place on my Bozo Board. "Happy Talk" isn't the
answer; it's the symptom of a serious problem.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224