RE: Troublesome Writers

Subject: RE: Troublesome Writers
From: "Thomas Quine" <quinet -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 05:58:19 -0800

Bottom line for me is, "Is this writer a good team player?" If not, I
discuss it with them. If they don't turn it around, I fire them, and have
done so in the past.
I strongly believe technical writing is a team sport, and in fact pretty
much everything in high-tech is team-oriented. You can't play on the team,
then go play by yourself.
Take a look at everyone you've ever known who was fired. In my experience,
the problem can almost always be traced to a character flaw - usually a
failure to "get along".
I've learned that professional courtesy is the single greatest factor in
success in the corporate world - actually in life. "There is no outward mark
of courtesy that does not have a deep basis in morality." - Goethe
If the person is well-motivated, works hard, has a helpful and cooperative
attitude, you can turn around almost any performance issue through training,
mentoring, or coaching. Turning around someone's character flaw is a lot
tougher. Sometimes the "short, sharp shock" of getting fired does the trick.
If not, they'll eventually find a niche where their flaws are not an
impediment to their working life, and my humble opinion is that the
responsibility of the manager is to help them get there as soon as
possible - to help them "get on with their careers", so to speak.
Speaking as an ordinary mortal, and thus deeply flawed myself...
- Thom
www.documen.com