RE: About training opportunities

Subject: RE: About training opportunities
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:26:06 -0800

> I'd like to ask those of you who are FTE/captive employees, either
> consulting or otherwise, whether your management allows you
> paid time off...to speak at a professional
> conference.
>
> At my company...
> My company
> sees no value to itself in its employees speaking at a conference...

My previous company used MBO (management by objectives). When I
established my personal and professional goals for each year,
I included speaking at professional conferences. They never
balked at sending me to two conferences a year (all I asked for)
and paid travel, hotel, and conference fees (yes, STC, of course).
A couple of times, they paid to copy my handouts and FedEx them
to my hotel for me.

When I was interviewing for a new job last summer, I informed
my interviewers that I had plans to speak at a conference in
October and that I'd already submitted proposals for a
conference in May. One company was initially hesitant, but
then relented. One company said, "Conference? Let's see...
You grow professionally, come back to work all enthusiastic
about what you've done at the conference, and put our name
out in the public eye. Of course, conferences are a no-
brainer. Sure you can go."

That was only one of the reasons I accepted my current position.
And yes, I started here in August and got paid time off to go
to a conference in October. I did not ask them to pay for my
conference fees because I made money on that trip.

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."
-- Douglas Adams
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy