Re: Troublesome Writers

Subject: Re: Troublesome Writers
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe1 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:56:44 -0800 (PST)

--- Dick Margulis <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net> wrote:
> He presented the class, on the first day of the
> semester, a mimeographed one-page list of rules
> that, if we followed them, would turn us into
> competent expository writers.

I still cherish my 3-step list that my tech writing
professor presented us in class. I've found that my
writing was tremendously improved by using them (one
of my weaknesses has always been creating cohesives: I
relied way too much on empty transitional words).

The list:

1. Make the verb carry the action of the sentence.
2. Make sure there is a subject acting
3. Put old information first. (I.E., repeat an idea
from a previous sentence).

I used this list when I taught and most of my students
became decent writers.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/