Re: TW jobs-how to choose

Subject: Re: TW jobs-how to choose
From: Cathy Moore <cathy -at- proseprovider -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 09:30:55 -0500

If you're fond of efficiency, look closely before you leap into a job at
an Internet startup.

I write content for online training and educational products. I recently
worked with three startups.
Only one had a clear picture of what they were doing and a procedure in
place to accomplish it. They're fun but also organized. They'll be
around next year.

The other two companies began producing their products way too soon.

The first company started producing content immediately but made major
changes about every two months. For example, the audience went from
adults to six-year-olds. The last I heard, they were having trouble
getting an additional round of funding.

The second company has been changing its mind every week. This week
we're using the "procedures" field one way. Next week it will be
another. This week we're writing in Word. Next week it will be
Dreamweaver. The changes come in disorganized e-mails from several
people, and the info is often buried in long attachments. I'm supposed
to keep track of all the changes while cranking out 10 lessons a
week--and then go back and change the 10 I handed in last week because
the rules changed. I'm bailing as soon as possible.

Before joining a startup full time, ask the company to clearly describe
the product and market. The two disorganized startups claim their market
is "everyone," which is a big sign that they have no idea what they're
doing. Also try to determine if the company is producing on the fly. Do
they expect you to reach point C without having passed through A and B?

The same warning applies to joining a company that develops for other
companies. That's how I ended up working for the two disorganized
startups--my employer chose them. Before you join a development company,
look at its previous clients and its turnover.

Cathy