Re: Word document template creation

Subject: Re: Word document template creation
From: "Robert J. Opitz" <opitz -at- scientist -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 14:55:09 -0500

A good reason? I once contracted to write a manual for an outfit whose editor did everything from his Normal.dot file, a fact I didn't know until after I signed the contract. He then gave me a floppy, told me to replace my Normal.dot file with his, and go to work.

After several days of floundering (did I mention it was a tight deadline?) looking desperately for functions that should have been a single click away, I extracted enough of the styles etc. to set up a true document template, go back to my own Normal file, and actually start working.

The lesson to me? The Normal.dot file is for changes to your own personal workspace. NEVER use it for anything that might be inflicted on someone else. (Unless you really, really hate them.)

Bob Opitz