RE: Pulling it slightly OT: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier? (Mild Vent)

Subject: RE: Pulling it slightly OT: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier? (Mild Vent)
From: Joy Brady <joy_m_brady -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 05:46:44 -0800 (PST)

--- bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:
> You are in desperate need of Atlas Shrugged.

I LOVED Atlas Shrugged, and read it in 1988 as an
impoverished 22 year-old. I related most to
the poor fellow that worked and served the woman
protagonist well, and then gets killed near the end.
<g> I even
subscribed to The Intellectual Activist for a time. It
actually helped me accept my rotten pay a little
better. <g> My
appreciation for Ayn Rand's thoughts have diminished
only a little bit over time. My problem with her
"hero's" - they just weren't very human. And not all
CEOs and Executives are necessarily "Men of Mind."

The funny thing is, I'm fiscally
conservative, and do believe the system of supply and
demand works better than any other we've come up with.
I believe that people who position themselves to make
the money
they want do "deserve" it, so long as they haven't
positioned themselves as armed bandits in a bank, of
course. <g> Those who haven't figured
out how to maximize their potential earnings, or don't
care to try, but aren't killing themselves physically
or mentally to make the money they do, shouldn't feel
whiny. This was my point. They should figure out how
to make that
money, or if they are unwilling to press for it, just
get philosophical about it and figure out what they
are gaining in exchange for a little less money, but a
good salary nevertheless.

And, of course, my main point was that there are some
very important jobs for which people are grossly
underpaid. I just don't know how angry(!) I should
ever get that I'm making less than someone who makes
$70,000. Excited that I have the brains and energy to
get some of that money for myself? Yes. Angry that
I'm not rich, rich, rich yet? No. At least not when
I'm being reasonable.

=====
Joy Brady
Technical Writer