Re: Active versus passive (WAS Displays versus Appears-Which One? )

Subject: Re: Active versus passive (WAS Displays versus Appears-Which One? )
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:25:31 -0600

Then our teachers aren't even aware of what passive voice is, since I was given (heh heh) those examples in college.

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okvotech.org/cimc

>>> "Jane S." <judydh -at- total -dot- net> 12/19/00 08:52AM >>>
Those are not examples of passive voice, even though they are examples of
passivity.
What is an example of passive voice in the passage below is:

needs to be unnamed

Any 'to be' verb tense with a past tense verb is an example of passive
voice. It is also tough to eliminate, even ambiguous as to why you really
want to when it is so common in plain speech.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Jane S.