RE: Jumping Text( In MS Word Headers)

Subject: RE: Jumping Text( In MS Word Headers)
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:16:59 -0700

David,

It sounds like you are trying to put an image behind the text in your
header.

Using this assumption, here is what I did to create something similar.
So you could give this a try. The trick is in the Layout properties
of your image.

1. Open the header. (Choose View | Header and Footer)

2. Insert your table in the header. (Choose Table | Insert | Table
. . ..)

3. Insert your image (Choose Insert | Picture . . ..) I inserted a
drawing
object rather than an actual picture. Place your image where
you want it.

4. Right Click you image and select Format Picture. (If you are
using Word
Art, it will be Format Word Art. If it's a drawing object, it
will be Format
Autoshape.)

5. In the dialog box that opens, select the Layout tab.

6. There is a section on the layout tab titled Wrapping Style. In
this section,
select Behind Text.

7. Select OK.

8. Now insert and format your text.

This should produce your desired effect.

Note: When you let go of your image to insert the text, Word is going
to place your image *behind* the table. If you are going to do
anything else with the image, you will have to move the table to get
at it.

Hope this helps.

John Fleming

> Subject: Jumping Text( In MS Word Headers)
> From: "David Harrison" <david -at- pmssystems -dot- com>
> Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:31:45 -0000

> Hi Guys

> Can't find an answer to this in archives so I thought it time to ask
the
> group.

> HISTORY
> My document (in MS Word) is formatted with simple access devices
that uses a
> table in the header with Manual title on the inside of the page and
section
> and topic heading on the outside (uses Style ref and bookmark
fields).
> Next, I put two Rounded rectangles behind the text in the headers.
This
> gives a white box/black border behind the manual title, and a black
box
> (inverse characters) behind the section and topic heading. It's been
fine
> for the last eighteen months and the boss here likes the appearance.

> PROBLEM
> Now we've gone over to Word 2000 and the same effect causes the
header text
> to go out of alignment and move itself (at random) to the top of the
Header
> box.
> This even happens if you create a new Word doc, put a table in the
header
> with text in each side, and then use Word Draw to put a coloured box
behind
> it - text moves as you bring the shape into the text area.

> I know that one solution is to resort to Shade controls but this
will reduce
> it to square sided boxes and look like a coloured table - I like my
rounded
> rectangle shapes.

> So any ideas - has anyone else come across this problem and solved
it?