RE: References for "The Magic Number" and more examples of the number 7

Subject: RE: References for "The Magic Number" and more examples of the number 7
From: "Le Vie, DonaldX S" <donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:46:30 -0800

I am the guilty party. But let's get some facts straight first.

The first article appears to be an opinionated essay by Dr. Bailey. You
mention that all three web sites are referenced. My browser shows no
references for the article by Dr. Bailey, so if that's the case, then I
stand corrected.

That article is the ONLY article I commented on.

Second, the next link in Steve Bang's posting is an EXCELLENT up-to-date
piece that is highly annotated with more recent studies. I sent an email to
Steve off list stating that it was a great link. My previous comments made
no reference at all to this piece.

THIRD, if you have been reading my previous posts, I am only a supporter of
the 7 +/-2 rule WHEN IT WORKS. Rather than repeat my stance on the issue,
please re-read (or read) my previous postings.

I never stated the references were "falsified" nor did I "dismiss them out
of hand". I mentioned that the first article appeared to contain unsupported
claims (I take your word that the article did in fact have references after
it).

"Personal viewpoints" simply can not carry as much weight as any bona fide
formal study. Personal viewpoints (opinions) are just that. If you wish to
consider personal viewpoints BACKED UP by empirical evidence, that's a
different story.

I'm not claiming the results of my usability tests are evidence FOR the
absolute validity of the Rule of 7. Like the passive/active discussion, you
use what will work for a given situation.

Let's all lighten up on this topic. It works for some; it doesn't for
others. Next.

Donn Le Vie