RE: code examples

Subject: RE: code examples
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:59:18 -0700

> when citing code examples within a document, even if they are
> there only for example, not instruction, should they be described
> and labeled every time???

while your question is highly contextual, a quick answer is label the code
as appropriate.

If you are showing a code fragment to exemplify some function use or
construct, then you probably don't need to label it as coming from a larger
function, etc. However, if you need to provide some context for the example
code to make sense, then you should label it. Labels make sense when they
add something (which may include the ability to search for the code example
by label). Otherwise, they are only there to satisfy our anal desires to
categorize.

walden