Re: Wood eye? Wood eye? Tin ear! Tin ear!

Subject: Re: Wood eye? Wood eye? Tin ear! Tin ear!
From: Penny Staples <staplesp -at- airwire -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:00:38 -0600

I beg to differ...

Last year my husband had an eye injury that prevented him from reading or
watching TV, so we spent a lot of time in the evenings with me reading out loud
to him. I very quickly found that not everything reads well out loud. For
example, the work of one of my favorite writers, Roger Zelazny, doesn't read
particularly well out loud. He uses some word combinations that tended to make
me stumble. But it works when I read it in my head. It was the oddest thing.
Anecdotal evidence, but there it is.

Having said that, I agree as a general rule, reading something out loud is a
good way to find out for sure whether or not it's well written.

Regards,

Penny Staples
staplesp -at- airwire -dot- com