RE: white papers

Subject: RE: white papers
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:10:53 -0500

Hi "train2,"

You asked for advice on writing white papers. As often suggested on this
list, you might want to search the archives. This topic has come up before,
and I think you'll find some valuable advice in the archives.

As for us, a few years back when we decided to start producing some white
papers, we went out and searched for white papers online. We found some we
liked, and used them for ideas when creating our FrameMaker templates and
cascading style sheets for HTML files.

As for the information in our white papers, we had some technical topics
that we felt were not adequately addressed in our current documentation, and
that because of either the size and complexity of the topic, or the
fast-changing nature of the technology, we did not want to add that
information to our "regular" product documentation. Those topics became the
white papers.

If you'd like to see examples of our white papers, you can see them at
www.fpoint.com. On the left-hand side, under SUPPORT CENTER, choose White
Papers to go to a list of the available papers. We provide most in both PDF
and HTML formats, and a few in just PDF due to design requirements (the
design of the material enhanced the information, and we didn't want to begin
to try to make it work in a browser).

Hope this helps!

Lydia : )
Lydia Wong