Re: Active versus passive (WAS Displays versus Appears-Which One? )

Subject: Re: Active versus passive (WAS Displays versus Appears-Which One? )
From: Rebecca Stevenson <rstevens -at- atg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:25:42 -0500

> Michael West wrote in part:
>
> So the problem is: must editors also be English teachers? Or
> have we the right to assume a basic understanding of the
> rudiments of grammar and syntax?

Alas, you haven't the right to assume anything. :-) If you have an alternative
to offer besides working with what the world hands you, I and many others would
be interested to hear about it. If educational programs and market circumstances
mean that you have to teach your new writers English grammar terminology, that's
what you're going to have to do.

The alternative plan of action would be to lobby your local educational system
and try to change things there. Has anyone attempted this?

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Writer
Art Technology Group