Re: Displays versus Appears-Which One? (Passive Voice)

Subject: Re: Displays versus Appears-Which One? (Passive Voice)
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:31:18 +1100

Robert Partridge wrote:

> I thought it was obvious. Gerry was stating that in some
> circumstances passive voice is not only better from a
> readability point of view, but that using direct voice
> might be translated as far too direct for some cultures
> or situations.

I hope Mr Partridge can define "direct voice." I've not run into
this concept before.

Of course this is, as one of our Prime Ministers
is supposed to have said, the "arse end of the world"
and news of newly discovered linguistic structures
is slow to travel. (Camels being in short supply.)

On second thought, maybe just a quick dip into Strunk and
White, page 18, would obviate the need for a camel trek.

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia