Web Publication Rights

Subject: Web Publication Rights
From: sinico -at- nbnet -dot- nb -dot- ca (H.Durstling)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:55:25 -0400

Hi Folks,

While the following question isn't spectacularly technical, it does pertain
to a job with explanation and diagrams, so perhaps a generous construction
of the term "technical writing" will let me sneak it in here. I'm most
definitely at a loss.

The background is that some time ago in the weekend magazine of the local
daily paper I published a series of "backroads exploration" maps which
guided readers to little known locations of historical or natural science
interest in the local area. The text was hand-lettered with the rapidomat,
the maps hand-drawn ditto. Each ran as a full magazine page; text could
vary from as few as 200 to 800 or more words. Some I also illustrated with
pen and ink drawings.

These maps turned out to be quite popular. A regional tourism promotion
authority bought the single-use print rights to half a dozen of them, and
commissioned several more. Again, print only, for single use.

Now they want to put them up on their tourism promotion web site, and are
asking what would be my charge for the web rights. And that's where I'm
completely at sea. Haven't even the foggiest notion.

Have any list members run into a similar conundrum? Any suggestions what
might be a reasonable charge or price range? Just to recap, the originals
were full magazine page in size, hand-lettered, with hand-drawn maps, a few
with original sketches, text on average say 500 words.

Any suggestions at all will be very helpful and welcome, on or off list.

Cheers & thanks,
Hans Durstling
Moncton, Canada
<sinico -at- nbnet -dot- nb -dot- ca>