RE: Active versus passive

Subject: RE: Active versus passive
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:50:18 -0500

"Le Vie, DonaldX S" wrote:

>Pushing better
>writing upstream (even just as far as around the bend) in the documentation
>development process allows the pubs folks more opportunity to add value when
>the documents reach them.
>
>But it's been an exercise of spitting in the face of a hurricane much of the
>time.

I'm trying an experiment along these lines. Yesterday I distributed copies of Strunk & White, hardbound, gift-wrapped (i.e., in the guise of Christmas presents) to some of my major customers, mostly marketing types, none of them writers. (Well, there is one writer in the group, and in his case it really was just a gift--I figured he probably had an old paperback version from college, as I do.)

The two people who have reacted so far have understood that I had a self-serving motive, but they took it good-naturedly. Both assured me they had never seen the book before and would be glad to read it. They expressed hope that it would improve their writing.

So we shall see.... I'll report back in a few months to say whether there is any noticeable improvement in the incoming traffic.