RE: what's a paragraph; was: Active versus passive (WAS Displays vers us Appears-Which One?)

Subject: RE: what's a paragraph; was: Active versus passive (WAS Displays vers us Appears-Which One?)
From: "Holder, Luanne" <Luanne_Holder -at- syntelinc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 09:06:46 -0500

Dick:

When that third grader "publishes" her writing, it certainly needs to
conform to standard grammatical structure. However, while she is in the
brainstorming phase, she should not be confined by this structure any more
than I feel a need to capitalize, or even spell correctly when I'm taking
notes while I'm exploring a new application that I need to document. Since
this third grader is learning the whole writing process, some of her drafts
will be more concerned with content than structure. What better way to teach
lessons on grammatical structure than using her own text. Allow her to
begin with "free writing" and teach her how to edit her text so that it
conforms to standard English. That's what the whole language approach is all
about - teaching grammar using this child's text instead of using a list of
ten sentences at the end of the chapter in some English book.

LuAnne Holder