Re: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??

Subject: Re: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:02:01 -0600

I'm married to one of those analytical types who LOVES manuals. Consults the
directions, wants to follow them exactly - and drives me nuts, as I consult the
manual only when all else fails, which drives HIM nuts!

But, I AM getting better...I do at least LOOK in the manual...sometimes.....

Jo Byrd

"Cook, Jenise" wrote, in part:

> A curious event happened on Christmas Eve involving a "techie" gift and the
> gift's user manual. This is the story:
>
> On Dec. 24th, we were at my brother-in-law's house for dinner and gift giving.
> He gave his daughter an inexpensive digital camera. Man, was she excited! She
> ripped open the package, put the batteries inside the camera, then tried to
> make it work. Zip. Nothing. No response.
>
> As the lone tech. writer of the extended family, I suggested, "Read the
> manual. It'll tell you how to arrange the batteries. Some tech. writer worked
> hard on that manual." Chuckles came from the family circle. "Yeah,
> some tech. writer wrote a manual that nobody uses," they sneered.
>
> <snip>
>
> And, that poor manual continued to lay untouched on the floor until my niece
> put it back into the box.
>
> Is that what our jobs are all about, writing manuals that many users do not
> read? I asked myself that question that evening. I decided that no matter how
> the users out there may or may not use the documentation we write, some users
> definitely will. Those are the users I write for, and think of during
> the planning phase.
>
> So, how many of you endure your family's chuckles at holidays or birthdays
> where "techie" gifts are given, and the manuals are untouched? Do family and
> friends wonder why you do what you do for a living?

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.