RE: oddball Word questions (involving making multiple documents into one book)

Subject: RE: oddball Word questions (involving making multiple documents into one book)
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:22:58 +1000

Kim,

Some of your questions are covered in Chapters 3 and 4 of my book, Electronic Editing, which you can download from my website (it's shareware, so you don't have to pay unless you find it useful). Information on downloading and ordering is here http://www.wrevenge.com.au/bookshop/e-edit.htm Let me know if you want a detailed contents list.

(a) I'd like each separate chapter's figures to continue numbering in
sequence. Example: Chapter 2 has 49 figures; I'd like the first figure in
Chapter 3 to begin as Figure 50. I haven't found a way to do this other
than manually numbering the figures. Am I missing something?

You'll need to manually set the first figure in each chapter (using a switch on the caption field); all the following figures will renumber automatically when you update fields. There may be a way to do this so the first figure caption field in each chapter picks up the last figure number in the previous chapter, but if so I've never figured it out (or it may involve macros or scripting that are beyond me).

(b) I'd like to have a comprehensive Table of Contents that covers all the
chapters.

This one's easy. Use RD fields. I don't know if that's what the reference you posted talks about, but if it does and you're having problems, try the explanation in my book -- I *hope* it is clear <grin>.

RD fields are also the secret to compiling a comprehensive index from multiple files.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.