RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??

Subject: RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??
From: Joanne Meehl <Jmeehl -at- datum -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:19:05 -0500

I, too, received a digital camera (HP). It came with a manual, but it also
came with a "cheat-sheet", a 12"x18" chart on coated 60# paper. This chart
is set up like a table, with a lot of white space between and among the
"cells".
Each cell on this table holds how-to info about using the camera--how to
insert the batteries, how to turn it on, how to take pictures, how to recall
pictures, and so on. No sequence is more than 4 steps long. It is done well.
In fact, before I even handled the camera, I commented to my husband, "Neat
doc!" (he's a TW, too).
I then became involved with scanning this chart, and my husband grabbed the
manual and began skimming it, front to back, and we handed the camera back
and forth between us to play with the features.
I think our different approaches illustrate my theory that those of us who
are impatient and/or intuitive just want to use the darn thing. And those
who are more patient and wish to read from page 1 through page 50 or
whatever, will first read the manual.
It's also my observation that eventually even impatient and intuitive people
like me reach for the manual and really do read it.
FWIW,
Joanne

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.