Re: anyone else in the same boat?

Subject: Re: anyone else in the same boat?
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:38:44 +1100

> Andrew Plato wrote:
> >
> > For a consultant, it is presumptuous and dangerous to assume you have some
> > unique bond with users that supercedes the directives and desires of the
people
> > paying the bills. Sure, good companies cater to their customers/users. But in
> > my line of work, I must cater to my customers/users, who are the clients.

There is nothing at all presumptuous in my recognizing
that, when it comes to producing user assistance material,
I have better tools and skills for analyzing and serving the
needs of the users than do the people who hire me --
and that is of course WHY they hire me.

No one is suggesting that it is therefore appropriate for
me to refuse to do what they ask me to do as long as I
am taking their money to do it. This situation has never
arisen, by the way, in my thirty years in the game, so let's
not go off chasing red herrings.

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.