"Murder your darlings" quote

Subject: "Murder your darlings" quote
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 14:39:56 -0800

A few weeks ago, I quoted this pithy way of saying that your writing
will be improved if you delete any phrases that you are especially
fond of.

Someone else attributed the quote to Dorothy Sayers, which seemed
believable to me. Apparently, though, I spoke too soon.

Since then, I've seen the quote attributed to William Faulkner and,
in Stephen King's "On Writing" (part of the thick wall of books
beneath our Christmas tree; it contains no surprises, but plenty of
common sense about any kind of writing) to Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch.
Since Quiller-Couch is the oldest attribution, he's now the leading
candidate for authorship.

Just in case anyone was interested - and, I suppose, even if you're
not (sticks tongue out, plants thumbs in ears and waggles open
palms).

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Dow Jones going into a stall,
Spray paint saying it on every wall,
The rise was fine, now it's time to decline and fall."
- Richard Thompson, "Yankee Go Home"

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.