Re: anyone else in the same boat? (Long)

Subject: Re: anyone else in the same boat? (Long)
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:48:18 -0800 (PST)

>That was October of 99, and I'm still here, the only technical writer
>(I am too! That's what it says on my nameplate!) at this place, with
>little precedent and even less guidance.

Sounds like you'll be a good technical writer - that's what we do all
the time. ;> A good technical writer:

o excells at learning quickly
o isn't afraid of looking stupid
o likes writing
o is willing to improve their skills (writing and otherwise)
o is used to working in a vacuum.
o is flexible
o probably understands any one topic well

I'm sure there are a few other attributes. But the immediate point is
that educational degree and age are _not_ on this list. Either you can
do the job or you can't.

Besides, most tech writers _like_ learning. The more experience you
get, the more likely the degree will come naturally.

Good luck!

David S. Blyth
Staff Technical Writer (age 43).
QCT Division (Spinco!)
QUALCOMM

Standard disclaimers apply

Blodo Poa Maximus
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.