Re: non-tech techwr better for end users (was "same boat")

Subject: Re: non-tech techwr better for end users (was "same boat")
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 16:49:59 -0600

Keith Cronin wrote:
"> in documenting a point-and-click application to be used by
> Debbie the Time/Life Operator, will your knowledge of C++ help her find
> the "Print" icon?"

I love that example.

Bruce Byfield responded, in part:
"if you like branching out into interface design, then you might be
able to talk more intelligently to the programmers, and make sure
that the Print icon is positioned so she can see it."

I don't know about you, but in cases like that, I print out a screen
capture, circle the Print button, draw an arrow, and add a note saying "Why
don't we put the Print button here instead?" And I explain why.("If
Debbie's resolution is set to 640x480--which isn't unlikely, on her 14"
monitor--she'd have to scroll down to see it, and a lot of users don't
think to scroll.")

I'm also not clear on how understanding programming makes it easier to
write an end-user troubleshooting procedure... or any other end-user
documentation, really. Don't get me wrong, programming is a fine
thing--working with WinHelp macros and Javascript gave me an appreciation
of the potential elegance of it--but I still don't see how knowing C++ will
help me communicate more effectively with Debbie.

Christine Anameier

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.