Re: Oh those tender users

Subject: Re: Oh those tender users
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:33:26 -0500

On 12/29/00 9:45 PM, Michael West (mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com) wrote:

>Thus spake Andrew Plato:
>
>>> Good writers [...] educate the user rather than instructing them.
>
>To which I say: May the gods deliver me from tech
>writers who want to "educate" me rather than tell me
>what I need to know.

Hmmm... I understood Andrew's comments to be the difference between
telling the user what to do, and explaining why the user needs to do it.
I vastly prefer the latter, both when writing and when reading a manual.
Here's an example:

Instruction: Enter the customer name in the Name field.

Education: Enter the customer name in the Name field, using up to 64
characters. Customer representatives will use your entry in all
transactions to locate and assign data to the customer, and it appears on
all customer reports as well.

In other words, the first example told the readers what they "need to
know," while the second told them why they should care at all.
Documentation like my first example is all too common, and never fails to
irritate me. Documentation like my second example is a poor example of
what I try to write for most projects.

Hope this helps,
----->Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.