Re: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??

Subject: Re: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 00:47:56 -0700

OK, it looks like I will have to admit defeat here.

Maybe my perception of kids, seniors, and computers is skewed by
experience with a non-representative sample. Over the last half
decade I've had to give more than a little user support to some older
workers who had trouble with some pretty basic tasks.

I can agree there are some older people who are really quite adept
with PCs. I can also agree there are some older people who would have
trouble if their lives depended on an ability to use a PC. Ditto for
younger users.

Perhaps the view that, "when in trouble on the PC, ask a kid," is
circulated by a segment of the older computer user crowd who do rely
on their kids to explain the ins and outs of the PC.

Thanks, Marilynne and Bruce for reminding me that not all older
computer users are babes in the woods, and that not all younger users
are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

John